Med-Eng* products are trusted in over 100 countries worldwide. It offers the leading brand of Explosive Ordnance Disposal protective equipment, including suits and helmets for EOD, bomb disposal and tactical teams. In addition to its bomb disposal equipment, its product line includes a vast array of specialized tools for unexploded ordnance, high risk search and demining operations. Med-Eng crew survivability blast attenuation seats and thermal managements solutions protect military vehicle occupants and their mission critical electronics from the blast effects of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and heat stress. Med-Eng is world-renowned for its aggressive Research & Development programs and collaborative approach to meeting customer requirements.
Reporting to the Design Manager, Mechanical the Mechanical Designer participates in the Mechanical Design process and will function as dedicated engineering support for the Product Line.
Essential Job Function
- Utilizes product definition criteria to design, propose, prototype and test concepts
- Interprets input from Product lines and end-users to further refine design and function
- Documents findings on performance of prototypes, prepares, analyzes, and presents test data of prototypes, or products, in a usable format according to the process checklists
- Prepares customized test reports for component performance, verification, validation and durability testing
- Maintains preliminary product record in Product Data Management System and follow the change process to release documentation to the Product Line Management system
- Rapid prototyping activities, including the use of SolidWorks, 3D printer, prototype tooling and equipment, etc.
- Conducts and/or participates in peer design reviews during development
- Conducts and/or participates in post mortem reviews and documents learning
- Incorporates feedback from Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, and addresses design, material and part issues, in partnership with other dedicated project staff
- Considers prototype and product fabrication methods and costs, budget and project delivery deadlines in determining course of action
- Finish and transfer all required deliverables from Engineering to Manufacturing Engineering and other company’s departments, as required in the course of the Product Development Process
- Repairs or provides solutions, and modifies prototypes and demos for Marketing or Special Customer Requests;
• Researches innovative approaches to improve products
- Assists in the selection and procurement of samples and materials
- Plans and coordinates the design and preparation of samples, materials, fixtures and apparatus required for testing
- Assists in conducting tests for compliance
- Mechanical design, development and documentation of mechanical, electro-mechanical and RF systems
- Thermal analysis (CFD) and structural/modal analysis FEA using Solidworks and classical methods as required
- Present design reviews (internal and external).
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 2-4 years experience in product development environment
- Experience in a machine shop environment and some familiarity with all related tools & techniques
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 3D computer aided design experience, or familiarity; knowledge of SolidWorks an asset
- Competence in computer software under a Windows environment; word processor, spreadsheet, MS PowerPoint
- Ability to generate, interpret and electronically communicate drawings and other design files with Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Materials, vendors
- Proficiency in conceptualization and 3D rendering of ideas, testing assumptions, deduction of critical information, and incorporating feedback/revisions into next generation of prototypes and evaluation to initial production run
- Good communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to grasp information quickly, describe it on paper/screen and communicate it to others within product development teams, including vendors
- Good organization and time management skills
- Familiarity of manufacturing processes, tooling, thermoplastics, composites, metals, would be assets
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
Mustang Survival is an equal opportunity and affirmative
action employer and we pride ourselves on hiring and developing the best
people. All employment decisions (including recruitment, hiring, promotion,
compensation, transfer, training, discipline and termination) are based on the
applicant's or employee's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of
the position under consideration. These decisions are made without regard to
age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race,
color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship,
disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other
legally-recognized protected basis prohibited by applicable law.